Allergic by Megan Wagner Lloyd is a graphic novel about a young girl who is devastated to learn that she is allergic to the dog she always wanted. This Allergic homeschool study is a great addition to your homeschool year.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Allergic by Megan Wagner Lloyd
Genre: Graphic Novels
Length: 240 pages
First Published: 2021
Allergic Publisher’s Description
At home, Maggie is the odd one out. Her parents are preoccupied with getting ready for a new baby, and her younger brothers are twins and always in their own world. Maggie loves animals and thinks a new puppy is the answer, but when she goes to select one on her birthday, she breaks out in hives and rashes. She’s severely allergic to anything with fur!
Can Maggie outsmart her allergies and find the perfect pet? With illustrations by Michelle Mee Nutter, Megan Wagner Lloyd draws on her own experiences with allergies to tell a heartfelt story of family, friendship, and finding a place to belong.
My Goodreads Review
Maggie has always wanted a dog and she is devastated to learn that she is allergic to dogs. Now she has to find the perfect pet and try to make her dreams come true despite her allergies. Along the way she has to work out her feelings about the new baby on the way in her home and her best friend getting a dog.
This was a fun book to read with my book club. The story didn’t end the way I anticipated and it was fun to discuss how the pet problem was actually solved in Maggie’s life. Maggie is also struggling through finding friends at a new school, communicating with her new BFF, and finding her place at home. With everything happening in her life, Maggie feels a lot of strong emotions, something most tweens can relate to. It’s a great book for tween readers.
Allergic: The Graphic Novel Book Club Ideas
Decorate the area with stuffed animals – dogs as well as the other animals on Maggie’s list.
Enjoy Swedish Fish and blue jello (for the ocean).
Use dog-themed paper products to decorate or any animal-themed paper goods.
Help everyone create a dog bookmark to take home.
Allergic: The Graphic Novel Discussion Questions for Your Homeschool Study
1. Maggie feels a lot of strong emotions in this book. Find a few places where she feels strongly. How do the graphics convey her feelings?
2. What is Maggie’s number one problem? What is the solution in the end? What are some of the other problems Maggie has with family and friends? How are they resolved?
3. What advice would you have given Claire when she got a new dog? Could she have handled the situation differently so Maggie wouldn’t have been so upset?
Homeschooling with Graphic Novels:
Discussion Questions to Get You Started
Grab this set of questions designed specifically to facilitate discussion about graphic novels:
Helpful Links for Studying Allergic: The Graphic Novel in Your Homeschool
Visit the author, Megan Weber Lloyd’s, website.
Watch videos about the book and see the author.
Book Titles for Your Next Homeschool Study
Online Book Clubs for Kids
- A Rover’s Story Discussion Topics and Homeschool Study - December 1, 2023
- Speak Up! Book Review and Homeschool Study Ideas - November 30, 2023
- Spy School Graphic Novel Discussion Questions and Book Review - November 29, 2023